The Congregatio Jesu sisters arrived in Zimbabwe from Mainz, in Germany, in March 1951. It was thanks to the initiative, negotiations and sacrifices of Mother Edelburga and her desire to take an active part in the Mission apostolate. The decision was taken after the horrors of the Second World War.
Zimbabwe has been a Region since 1998 and currently has 47 members, of whom 30 are finally professed sisters and 17 temporary professed. Currently there are 4 novices and 2 candidates as well.
The apostolic mission is carried out through education, health and parish ministry. To meet the health needs of the people, they run St. Joseph’s Clinic, St Padre Pio Clinic and a dispensary. They work at the level of pre-school and primary school, in CJ owned institutions or in collaboration with the diocese or with the Jesuits. Besides formal education the sisters also run the Mary Ward Children’s Home in Amaveni and they are also responsible for a girls’ hostel. One sister is also a part-time lecturer at a Jesuit university. The sisters recently realised the big dream of offering education also at Secondary School level, as Mary Ward High School opened its doors to the first fifty students in early 2020, in the middle of the pandemic.
This year 2021, they celebrate their 70 years of presence in the country.